I had heard nothing but good things about Downton Abbey from just about everyone I knew, or so it seemed, but just never really got around to watching it. This changed when my mother decided to buy me all three seasons on iTunes as an early Valentines Day gift. (Translation- she needed someone in her life to discuss the show with.) After doing nothing but sitting on my couch watching it for the past three days, it is sufficient to say that I am hooked. However, I have started to view Lord Grantham as a WASP, affluent, aristocratic Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof.
In case I am alone in this- here is my reasoning:
1) Both men have only daughters and struggle with the challenges that means for them. Finding an heir for the estate. Paying for a wedding. The usual merriment.
2) Both men don't have much qualms about setting their daughters up with much older men. Sir Anthony Strallan. Lezer Wolf.
3) If Tevye was a rich man, all day long he'd biddy biddy bum. Lord Grantham is a rich man, and I'm not really sure he does much more than biddy biddy bum all day long.
4) Both men struggle with daughters who don't follow the paths that is set for them. Running off with a Russian. Running off with the chauffeur.
5) One word: tradition.
6) Lord Grantham is threatened with having to leave his home and move. Tevye is forced to leave his home and move.
Anyone else see the resemblance or am I alone in my madness?
You're welcome for getting that song stuck in your heads for the rest of the evening.